Unittests and external data....

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Mar 19 15:04:24 EST 2003

While I'm really fond of unit tests, I keep running into problems of
their needing more framework than can easily be captured in the
unittest module.

For instance, I'm working on a project to interface a data source to
an SQL database. Doing unit tests properly means I need to have
multiple different versions of the source around, or I need to modify
it on the fly. Neither of those is really very practical. Dealing with
the SQL side of things is possible, so long as I start with an empty
database for the suite.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I might better deal with things like
the source being external to the program?

        thanks,
        <mike