How to get IP address

Wayne Pierce wayne at
Sat Mar 1 20:33:27 CET 2003

Nagy László Zsolt <nagylzs at> wrote in message news:<mailman.1046487302.8558.python-list at>...
> I'm trying to get all inet addresses of a machine in python. Is there a
> way to do it using
> the standard library? I found a solution on Google and in Python
> CookBook but they
> are platform dependent. I need a platform-independent solution. Thank
> you in advance.
>   Laci 1.0

How about this?  I only have one IP on my box so I do not know if this
will work for you..

You could probably use the loopback as the parameter, like:

Both of these will return a tuple in the form of (hostname, aliaslist,
ipaddrlist).  This is in 7.2 of the Python docs if you need to check
other variations.