No Do while/repeat until looping construct in python?

William Sonna wsonna at attglobal.net
Fri Mar 21 21:56:26 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:29:05 +0100, Kim Petersen wrote:

> William Sonna wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:27:07 -0600, sismex0 wrote:
>> [snip a lot]
>  >

>> On the other hand, if you have a valid reason why "self" is advantageous
>> FROM THE USER's POINT OF VIEW I would like to hear it.
>>
> hmmm
>
> lets take this definition:
>
> def fun(x,y):
>     i:=3
>     while x<y:
>       i,x=i+1,x+1
>     return i
>
> if (according to your definition) i wrote this outside of a class - it
> would make `i' a local variable in fun's namespace - if i wrote the same
> inside a class - then it would automagically be converted into the
> class'es namespace??? Then how do i differentiate between class
> variables and local variables - introduce a local <var> keyword similar
> to the global (and if only active in class scope then break the fact
> that functions work the same outside and inside)? no thanks .... more
> work and less productivity for me.

I'm glad to see that some people actually like "self".

As for the example above, what you say is true.  That's why I cited the
example from another scripting language that allows mass qualification.

> And secondly - how do i call a class function - a function which cannot
> be identified by the calling object? eg: base.method() where my object
> is not derived from base but is mutable into the object (deliberatly
> (eg. by design) - call it an interface or whatever...)

I'm not sure I understand the issue.   Maybe an example would help.

> oh - and all this is in the FAQ....

Thanks for reminding me.  I'll make that one item f. in the list below :-)