md5 for large files

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at
Wed Mar 5 00:57:53 CET 2003

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 13:21:51 -0500, rumours say that Peter Hansen
<peter at> might have written:

>> Large is any file that I want to transfer around.  For example the gpg
>> library for windows that I just downloaded is a little over 1 mb and has a
>> defined md5 value that I'd like to compare.
>Well, if you're really talking about such small "large" files, then don't
>worry about memory usage and just use Dave's solution without the reading-
>a-block-at-a-time thing:
>import md5
>m =
>print m.digest()

I believe m.hexdigest() will be more useful in this specific example for
comparison purposes.
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
bofh at
(I'm a postmaster luring spammers; please spam me!
...and my users won't ever see your messages again...)