Has anyone created a simple POP3 and SMTP server using TWISTED?

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Tue Mar 18 11:19:19 EST 2003

Quoth Jp Calderone <exarkun at intarweb.us>:
|   As for myself, I rarely find myself programming outside of UNIX, so I tend
| to get locked into the UNIX mindset...  Thank you for reminding me that some
| things are different (and not in a necessarily "broken" way, like that other
| OS) on other platforms.

Oh, it's broken all right, and I gather perhaps in a similar way here.
They implemented sockets as a separate system, I think because they
were a bunch of C++ OOP programmers who didn't really understand the
power and elegance of the UNIX file descriptor system and the way
Berkeley sockets work within it just like any other device.  That
would change in the R6 release that never happened when the company
folded.

But even then there would have been nothing like kqueue, as I understand
it - no way to dispatch off a complete range of event sources, so any
application that needs to be responsive to both sockets and the message
port devices that drive the user interface system can end up having to
resort to one kludge or another to accomplish that.  Maybe because most
network application protocols actually follow a very simple question
and answer model that makes it less of an issue, this never bothered
anyone enough to get fixed.  And more generally, it just never has
been mainly about network applications, that's just the part we put
up with for the sake of the rest of it.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com