Booleans (was Re: My .02 on PEP308 + an extra question)

Andrew Koenig ark at research.att.com
Sun Mar 2 17:45:32 EST 2003

Magnus> How are these advantages related to Python, if at all?
Magnus> Certainly the second is not, unless you are using type
Magnus> checking (which you rarely should). Maybe the first is
Magnus> relevant -- I can't see exactly how...

Magnus> I realize that you were talking about C++ -- I'm just curious
Magnus> :)

If I remember right, part of the motivation for bool in Python was that
people were rolling their own in diverse ways.

Also, although Python doesn't overload functions based on types,
I can still imagine contexts in which it would be useful for the
default output format for Boolean values to be something other than
"1" or "0".

--
Andrew Koenig, ark at research.att.com, http://www.research.att.com/info/ark