Finding Python help...

Steve Cassidy steve.cassidy at mq.edu.au
Mon Mar 31 07:14:07 EST 2003

One problem I'm having learning (and teaching) Python is finding help on
  some parts of the language. I'm wondering if I'm just looking the
wrong way...

Eg. I wanted to find out how to get print to leave off the trailing
newline. help(print) doesn't tell me:

 >>> help(print)
   File "<stdin>", line 1
     help(print)
              ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

of course, print is a keyword and not a function (which by the way I
find odd but there you are...). I found the answer eventually in the
language definition manual but it wasn't obvious. Where should I look?

Another problem, how do I find out what methods are defined on a type
like list? Again,  I end up in the tutorial trying to find relevant docs.

In general, pydoc is great but I guess this inconsistency bugs me.

Cheers,
Steve