use for jython?

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 30 19:31:29 EST 2003

David McNab:
> Jython seems good for browser applets.
> Wonderful to be able to write those suckers in Python without having to
> touch a single line of J---

Let me second that.

For one job I was on, we needed an applet to display the output
data.  I wrote it in JPython (it was a while ago ;) having only had
a little previous experience with AWT and none in Java.

It went though a few iterations over about a week.  I used the
interactive interface to test the GUI behaviour, learning the
AWT, I put in some caching so the display updated quickly
(as with a window refresh), and added some simple key
commands to toggle between different behaviours.  The biggest
problem was differences in browser JVMs implementation,
which I was able to patch (using help from the mailing list, as
I recall).

Several people were impressed with the final performance
and said that they weren't used to applet code running that
quickly.  I'm certain that a major reason for that was the
ability to do more iterations in the same amount of time than
if I were to have written it directly in Java, even assuming
that my profenciency in Java equaled my Python abilities.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com