[Q] Databases -- Gadfly vs Metakit vs SQLite

Ganesan R rganesan at myrealbox.com
Mon Mar 17 09:25:41 CET 2003

> I also like Sqlite; I haven't had a need for it YET, but I  really
> appreciate the effort that the author has put into development AND
> packaging. Sqlite is powerful, and incredibly easy to link into your app.
> It's definately good stuff.

I like it a lot too. PySQLite actually makes SQLite even more easy to
use. For e.g. while SQLite itself is untyped (all strings), PySQLite can
automatically convert the data to the real python type. You can also write
SQLite extension functions in Python. Finally, PySQLite sticks to the DB-API
standard very closely. I only had to make only a couple of changes to my
DB-API application to get it working with PySQLite.

I don't know much about Gadly. It doesn't seem to be very actively
maintained anymore. The fact that it maintains live databases in memory
makes it unsuitable for my use.

I don't know about much MetaKit either :-). I came across MetaKit after
PySQLite and I've been asking myself the same question that you asked in
this group :-). MetaKit API is quite interesting. I've not had any
programming experience with it.

Personally, I'd probably go with PySQLite if there is a possibility that the
application might grow beyond it's original "embedded" database. If that is
not a concern - I'd give a serious look at MetaKit; probably write the
application to both APIs as some one else suggested and take a final
decision after some benchmarking.

And let us know what you picked :-).

Ganesan

--