Unittests and external data....

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Wed Mar 19 17:21:14 EST 2003

"Mike Meyer" <mwm at mired.org> wrote in message
news:x7r893nmwm.fsf at guru.mired.org...
> While I'm really fond of unit tests, I keep running into problems of
> their needing more framework than can easily be captured in the
> unittest module.
>
> For instance, I'm working on a project to interface a data source to
> an SQL database. Doing unit tests properly means I need to have
> multiple different versions of the source around, or I need to modify
> it on the fly. Neither of those is really very practical. Dealing with
> the SQL side of things is possible, so long as I start with an empty
> database for the suite.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on how I might better deal with things like
> the source being external to the program?

Check into the "testdrivendevelopment" Yahoo group. I believe there's
an SQL version of xUnit around (in fact, I just heard of it.) You might
also want to take a look at www.xprogramming.com/downloads,
there are at least three different Python versions of xUnit availible.
Unfortunately, it doesn't have the SQL version.

John Roth

>         thanks,
>         <mike
> --
> Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
> Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more
information.