How to serialize an xml document in Python

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 19 15:17:13 EST 2003

Antun Karlovac wrote:
> So far I've been printing it out to the console:
>
>         xml.dom.ext.PrettyPrint( doc )
>
> But now I want to assign the serialized string of the XML to a
> variable.
>
> How do I do that?

 >>> help(xml.dom.ext.PrettyPrint)
Help on function PrettyPrint in module xml.dom.ext:

PrettyPrint(root, stream=<open file '<stdout>', mode 'w'>, encoding='UTF-8',
indent='  ', preserveElements=None)

..... this means you can do something like this:
 >>> import cStringIO as StringIO
 >>> s=StringIO.StringIO()
 >>> xml.dom.ext.PrettyPrint(doc,stream=s)
 >>> print s.getvalue()

---Irmen de Jong.