Help: /bin/ping problem with Red Hat

Vivek Sawant vivek-nospam at cs.unc.edu
Wed Mar 12 11:05:14 EST 2003

Looks like this has something to do with Linux threading in general or
perhaps python threading in particular.

I scripted a simple python program to invoke the following command line
and ping terminated as expected. If I create a thread and get it
to invoke the following command line, it blocks forever and does not
terminate as directed using the -w option.

Does this have something to with alarm/signal. Perhaps the ping running
within this thread does not get its signals delivered to it properly?

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

\vivek