Flying With Python (Strong versus Weak Typing)

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Tue Mar 11 00:50:19 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 09:02:34PM -0800, Hasoob  ahs wrote:
> In an interview at http://www.artima.com/intv/strongweak4.html Guido
> van Rossum was asked if "he would be comfortable enough with the
> robustness of Python systems to fly on an airplane in which ALL the
> control software was written in Python". Guido's answer was clear but
> I would like to hear from other Python programmers.
> Would you be comfortable?. Your answer may help me decide between
> strong and weak typing. I prefer an answer of yes or no followed by an
> explanation.

  A good programmer isn't made or broken by the language he uses, though it
might make his life easier (or harder).

  I'd be comfortable in a plane with control software written by component
developers working with a tool they're familiar and skilled with.

  (I see that's roughly the answer Guido gave - smart fellow)

  Jp

> --

        "I quite agree with you," said the Duchess; "and the moral of
that is -- Be what you would seem to be' -- or, if you'd like it put
more simply -- Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it
might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not
otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be
otherwise.'"       -- Lewis Carrol, "Alice in Wonderland"