UDP Redir in Python

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Thu Mar 6 09:42:35 EST 2003

>>> Gerhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E4ring?= wrote
> Marian Schubert <m.schubert at sh.cvut.cz> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to make $subj. Can someone give me some hits where to start?
>
> There is http://pythondirector.sourceforge.net/
> The web page says it works for TCP, so you'd only need to add UDP support.

Correct. I've not needed UDP, so it's not been added.

Note that a large number of UDP-based protocols can't just be forwarded
on - either they're not on a consistent port (RPC/portmapper), or there's
all sorts of horrible values stored inside the packets. It depends on
what the actual protocol being forwarded is.

> If I started this from scratch, I'd probably try to do it using Twisted:
> http://twistedmatrix.com

Internally, pythondirector uses twisted for it's main loop.

> This should be really trivial to implement using Twisted. Anybody want to post
> the ten-liner here? :-)

You'd probably be surprised how much code these little suckers take up,
once you start to work with it.