Flying With Python (Strong versus Weak Typing)

laotseu bdesth at removethis.free.fr
Tue Mar 11 21:41:18 EST 2003

Hasoob ahs wrote:
> In an interview at http://www.artima.com/intv/strongweak4.html Guido
> van Rossum was asked if "he would be comfortable enough with the
> robustness of Python systems to fly on an airplane in which ALL the
> control software was written in Python". Guido's answer was clear but
> I would like to hear from other Python programmers.
> Would you be comfortable?. Your answer may help me decide between
> strong and weak typing. I prefer an answer of yes or no followed by an
> explanation.

First thing :
Python *is* strongly typed. Dynamic typing *is not* weak typing.

Second thing :
Ariane crashed because of a bug in an ADA module. ADA is very strongly
*and* statically typed.

Conclusion : your question doesn't make any sens, and the answer won't
help you. Choose whatever language seems the most suited for the task,
and test, test, test, and then test again.

Laotseu