GCD in standard library?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat Mar 15 09:54:02 EST 2003

[Grant Edwards]

> I've been programming for 30 years and have never once had to determine the
> GCD of two integers.  From my perspective it's not very common.  ;)

My experience quite differs.  I surely needed simple `gcd' many times, and I
needed the extended definition (computing the integer factors on the `gcd'
operands yielding the `gcd' results) a few times.  I code these explicitly
whenever I need them, yet I have to spend a few seconds thinking each
time...  The extended definition may require a few minutes, however.