PEP 315: Enhanced While Loop

Daniel Fackrell unlearned at DELETETHIS.learn2think.org
Mon May 5 12:23:09 EDT 2003

"Dave Benjamin" <ramen at lackingtalent.com> wrote in message
news:slrnbbd2uq.h20.ramen at lackingtalent.com...
> In article <vbajd67kf4rs51 at corp.supernews.com>, Francis Avila wrote:
> > I must agree with the general concensus on 'do...while'.  It's hardly
ever
> > needed, it's unpythonic, it's confusing, and it can be delt with by
other
> > more straightforward methods.
>
> Your use of the word "unpythonic" is particularly baffling in this
context.
> I'm not sure what the official definition of "pythonic" is, but it would
> seem that "pythonic" is how one might go about doing things in Python
> (the one obvious way to do it, of course). The very nature of a PEP is to
> redefine the Python language in some way, and therefore, redefine
"pythonic"
> and "unpythonic" as well.
>
> To condemn a change in a change in a language because it would result in a
> usage different from how the language is currently used is just circular
> logic. Not picking a fight, just an observation. ;)

In case it might help, this is from PEP 1:

'''
Finally, a proposed enhancement must be "pythonic" in order to be accepted
by the BDFL.  (However, "pythonic" is an imprecise term; it may be defined
as whatever is acceptable to the BDFL.  This logic is intentionally
circular.)
'''

--
Daniel Fackrell (newsgroups.NOSPAM at dfackrell.mailshell.com)
When we attempt the impossible, we can experience true growth.