Where does win32 python command prompt history happen?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu May 15 23:40:56 EDT 2003

Nomad <nomad***@***absamail.co.za> wrote:

>>in win9x days one had to enably doskey in the auotexec.bat file to get this.
>>afaik, at least since win2k, this has been part of the command prompt.  I
>>doubt it is in the kernel, but it is part of windows.
>
>I don't think it's part of windows while it's in the Python
>interactive console.

Why not?  Python gets its input by reading from stdin.  As soon as it reads
from stdin, the process is under the control of Windows.  As far as I know,
the original poster is correct: doskey maintains this history
automatically.

>IIRC it's part of the readline library.

It is on the Linux-like systems, but I didn't think gnu readline was part
of Python on Windows.

Plus, it doesn't answer the original question "where is the history
stored"?
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.