writing Unicode objects to XML

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Tue May 6 01:42:37 EDT 2003

Steven Taschuk <staschuk at telusplanet.net> writes:

> Our disagreement is in this last sentence.  XML is not just the
> infoset; it is also a syntax by which the information in the
> infoset is (de)serialized.

This was an endless debate in the XML community: whether the XML
document is just what an XML parser reports, or whether all lexical
properties also belong to it. The definition of the XML infoset was
meant to end this debate, in the sense "an XML document consists just
this information, and an XML processor is not required and should not
be expected to return more than that".

It is really unfortunate that the XML infoset spec did not end this
debate, apparently.

> The infoset is an abstraction layer; but XML is octets too.

So you would also argue that

while 1: pass

and

while  1: pass

are different Python programs?

You could do that; Python is octets, too. But it would not be helpful.

Regards,
Martin