Two-dimensional arrays

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue May 27 17:55:54 EDT 2003

"monsterkodi" <monsterkodi at gmx.net> wrote in message
news:d9608a84.0305270903.361a751f at posting.google.com...

> I just think that this way of constructing a multidimensional array
> isn't exactly what I would call a 'very clear and intuitive syntax'.

ok

> Maybe a built in function
> array(width,height,depth=0,value=None)
> which returns a simple 2 or 3-dimensional array, internally
> represented
> as lists of lists (of lists)

"Carl Banks" <imbosol at aerojockey.com> wrote in message
news:u6OAa.21293$fT5.1655 at nwrdny01.gnilink.net...
[also in response to me]

> I think a builtin multidimensional array factory would be nice.  I
> suggest this:
>     multiarray(dims,initializer=None,func=None)
> dims is a sequence of array dimensions.
> initializer is an initializer value.

Interesting convergence of responses.  During the pydev discussion the
new sum() builtin, someone suggested that it might be nice to have a
simple statistics module (which is where min(), max(), and sum() would
belong).   If such a thing were to come to pass, an array function
should certainly be included.

Terry J. Reedy