PEP 315: Enhanced While Loop

Daniel Fackrell unlearned at DELETETHIS.learn2think.org
Tue May 6 12:12:20 EDT 2003

"Steven Taschuk" <staschuk at telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> Quoth W Isaac Carroll:
> > I feel that the use of break is similar to the use of goto in the past.
> > Goto was necessary because of the limited control structures available
> > in early languages, but as for, while, if-else, functions, and other
> > powerful control structures came into use, the goto was no longer
> > necessary and gradually disappeared. If we adopt loop constructs of
> > sufficient power and flexibility, the break statement will also no
> > longer be needed, and will disappear from use.
>
> Imho 'break' and 'continue' together make 'while' a "loop
> construct of sufficient power and flexibility".  :)

Out of curiousity, supposing that the "while and while ..." syntax were
accepted, are we going to start seeing requests for continue statements that
can continue at any while?  It wouldn't terribly surprise me, and my gut
feel tell me that following that path would be a Bad Thing(tm).

--
Daniel Fackrell (newsgroups.NOSPAM at dfackrell.mailshell.com)
When we attempt the impossible, we can experience true growth.