MySQL and Python on Linux - Proper Method?

Markus Wankus markus_wankus at hotmail.com
Fri May 16 14:30:13 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I am about to dive into my first Python/wxPython app on Linux using a MySQL
database backend.  I was wondering what the proper way of doing this on
Linux is.  I can currently see a couple of options:

1) Using mxODBC (looks to be the most promising right now...)
2) Using MySQLdb (is this dead?) and probably SQLDict to make my life
easier...

I'm sure there are kajillions (OK, maybe not kajillions but millions at
least...) of Pythonistas doing this so I was curious as to what the
accepted method of doing this is?  I am finding surprisingly little
information on this subject.  Well, there is lots of info out there but it
seems to be all over the map in terms of what the accepted method is.

I will ultimately be installing my *platform-independent* application on
Windows machines as well.  I assume I will just be using an ODBC driver to
connect to the MySQL database (running on a Linux server).

Thanks for any advice.

--
Markus