IDE Feature request

laotseu bdesth at removethis.free.fr
Mon May 12 18:16:55 EDT 2003

Andy Jewell wrote:
> On Sunday 11 May 2003 10:49 am, Cameron Zemek wrote:
>
>>What features would you like to see in an open source IDE for Python?
>>
>>* Refactoring (see http://www.refactoring.com/catalog/)
>>* Syntax checking
>>* Integrated debugger (set debug points in the source editor)
>>* Workspace support
>>* Code assist (also referred to as code completion)
>>* Integrated interactive shell
>>* Code browser (browse by module and type)
>>* Coverage analysis
>>* Unit test generator

Ok, plus see below

>>What do you think of existing IDEs?

Dont know, i'm using emacs

>>Do you think that having a plugin for an existing IDE (eg. Netbeans,
>>Eclipse, Visual Studio) is better then a standalone IDE?

If it's Visual Studio, I could not care less... It dont run on my Mac
nor on my Linux Box.

>>Any other comments on an Python IDE.
>>
>>Implementation thoughts on IDE:
>>* Use wxPython to have a cross-platform environment

Definitively, yes

>>* License it under the same as Python's license
>>* Use the scintilla editor (not sure on this)
Think it's a good choice

>>* Included existing tools
>>* Write complete documentation for IDE as it is implemented
>>* Use mainly python as the implementation language
Of course !

(snip)

> Sounds great...
>
> A few thoughts about features...
>
> 1) Folding support, i.e. the ability to reduce the clutter in a source listing
> by selectively hiding code parts, such as procedure and class definitions,
> ifs and loops.

Which is supported by the Scintilla text editor widget

> 2) Expose the text buffer to a python command-line interpreter, so that the
> user can issue commands that work on the document being edited.

Likes emacs python mode

> 3) Printer support, including layout customization.  This one's probably the
> most difficult to do...

4) use Python as the scripting language for the IDE
5) allow the embedded interactive shell to control the IDE

Would that be enough ?-)

You should have a look at pycrust (comes the wxPython module), which
could be as basis for a Python IDE. BTW, it's author was talking, a few
weeks ago, of deriving an emacs-like editor from it (google for the
thread in this ng).

Laotseu