python IRC & Command line

Andrew Bennetts andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org
Sat May 24 21:34:08 EDT 2003

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 07:30:10PM -0400, enk0d wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
>                  I was wondering if this was actually possible or if
> someone tried it already but seeing how alot of us are linux,BSD, unix
> users i was wondering how hard would it be to make my own irc client that
> can run from the commmand line of linux.
>
> I would like your opinions in this matter please. Thank you

It's certainly possible.  There's a proof-of-concept built with Twisted
using the standard curses module.  You can get Twisted from
http://twistedmatrix.com/.  The simple curses IRC client can be found in
doc/examples/cursesclient.py inside the Twisted distribution.

Of course, there are other modules for Python that implement the IRC
protocol... although most people seem to use Python to write bots rather
than IRC clients for users.  :)

-Andrew.