Request for feedback on my first Python program

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Fri May 30 05:31:04 EDT 2003

Ganesan R wrote:

> readlines() will slurp in the whole file into memory.

That is most likely not a problem in this case.

> for line in file:
>     if line and line.startswith("#"):
>         line.rstrip()      # strip \n and other white space

The spec said where the first non-whitespace character is #. This means
that there can be whitespace characters before the #.

So it is better to strip first to remove those.

Also strip() returns a string, it dosn't mutate the one you are in:

for line in file:
     line = line.strip()
     if line and line.startswith("#"):
         # etc.

also:

     if line and line.startswith("#"):

Will only give you the comments, it should be:

     if line and not line.startswith("#"):

But you could just as well write:

     if line and line[0] != "#":

--

hilsen/regards Max M Rasmussen, Denmark

http://www.futureport.dk/
Fremtiden, videnskab, skeptiscisme og transhumanisme