On the Speed of ReST

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue May 20 00:57:06 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 22:54, Jane Austine wrote:
> I'm trying to use ReST in my wiki-like system, in order to avoid
> reinventing the wheel. However, some people reported ReST is
> impractically slow for dynamic HTML generation on the fly. Most
> Python-based wikis mainly use re.sub instead of statemachine as in
> ReST. Is it slow because of that?

Yes, ReST is very slow.  I made a play Wiki with ReST, and generated the
HTML everytime the document was edited.  Intrawiki links were phrased
like <a href="!wikiname">...</a>, and then I used a regex to search and
replace these when the page was actually rendered (fixing the links and
applying the correct style depending on whether the page existed).  That
worked fine, and fast enough.

  Ian