multiple co-existing versions of Python on Windows?

Nomad nomad*** at ***absamail.co.za
Wed May 14 09:29:52 EDT 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003 12:40:04 -0400, "Jonathan Epstein"
<Jonathan_Epstein at nih.gov> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Short version: can Python 1.6, 2.1 and 2.2 all co-exist on the same W2K
>system?
>
>Long version:
>I'm using a package called NatLink using Python 1.6 ... binaries are
>available for Python 1.6&2.2  ... not sure whether any precompiled version
>runs on 2.1:
>  http://www.synapseadaptive.com/joel/NatLinkVersions.html
>  http://www.voicerecognition.org/developers/jepstein/natlinkstuff/
>
>I would like to use the pre-compiled vim 6.1, which is capable of using
>Python as a scripting language, but looks for python21.dll.
>
>I would also like to do some wxpython-based development for which I must run
>at least Python 2.1, and I'm also impressed by the new 'yield' keyword used
>in generators in Python 2.2.
>
>So: I would like to install Python 2.1 for vim use, but I'm only interested
>in copying python21.dll and placing it into my PATH ... other than that I
>don't plan to really use Python 2.1.  Also, I'd like to transition my
>non-vim use towards Python 2.2, but need to keep 1.6 available for now, and
>have Python 1.6 listed in my PATH, at least for now.
>
>Can I just go ahead and install Python 2.1 and 2.2, and refrain from adding
>them to my PATH, and manually copy python21.dll into a directory which is in
>my PATH?
>
>Are there any other coexistance problems (e.g., with win32all) which I need
>to know about?

Why not recompile VIM for Python 2.2?  The job is pretty simple,
download the source, and runtime files, add a few patches (there have
been, at my last count, 474 patches since 6.1 first came out, so
you'll miss out on plenty of fixes/features if you just get the plain
binaries), edit the make file (a simple task to point at python22.dll
instead of python21.dll), and compile.

The source comes with plenty of makefiles for different compilers, so
if you have M$VC that's fine, but you can also use MinGW which is
free, small(ish) and pretty easy to use.

There may be times when Python developers really need different
versions installed (as opposed to developers that use Python), but for
normal usage, the fewer complexities the better.

HTH

--
Nomad

Wondering of the vast emptyness of the 'net
in search of something cool.