Reading a non-standard floating point format

Corey Coughlin corey.coughlin at attbi.com
Thu May 1 22:49:51 EDT 2003

"Mike Rovner" <mike at bindkey.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1051819259.29343.python-list at python.org>...
> "Corey Coughlin" <corey.coughlin at attbi.com> wrote in message
> > for me, I just programmed a non-standard binary floating point format
> > for a GDS reading/writing object yesterday.
>
> Well it has been done so many times let's call it standard GDS FP format :)
> BTW I have (ugly) python code to r/w it (transliterated from C).
>
> Mike

Well, I like to think my code is less ugly, since I wrote it from
scratch, added a host of generic object translation, a gds file
iterator object, and so on.  :D

But getting back on topic, here's a link to IEEE format info, as I
said, it looks awfully similar except for the longer mantissa, you
might want to try coding something up, reading data out of your
database and seeing if the values make sense.

http://www.psc.edu/general/software/packages/ieee/ieee.html