101 Ways of distributing python programs?

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Fri May 16 13:12:58 EDT 2003

In article <chl3cvgeku8qf4r3rv3oo17mn8f78h7ufo at 4ax.com>,
 Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote:

> >I know that there are ways to produce windows and linux executables out of
> >arbitrary
> >Python programs. For Mac I am not sure at all.
> >
> >I want to distribute free and shareware programs written in Python.
>
> Well, then, why don't you just distribute the source code?  That is by FAR
> the most useful option.

For Mac OS python programs that use a GUI, this is not a good option,
unless you want to limit your program to people sophisticated enough to
install one of the Python-with-GUI packages themselves.  The python that
comes built in with recent versions of OS X does not include a GUI.
Distributing standalone executables (as one can do e.g. with pyobjc) is
a better way of making it easier for your users to get started.

--
David Eppstein                      http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/