Should I write a book on Python Metaprogramming ?

Norbert Klamann Norbert.Klamann at klamann-software.de
Mon May 5 08:26:25 EDT 2003

mertz at gnosis.cx (David Mertz) wrote in message news:<mailman.1052116867.22805.python-list at python.org>...
[snip]
> So here's my questions to c.l.py.  Would you want a book along the below
> lines at all?  Do you only want it if it focusses closely on Python?  Or
> would you rather have a book that addressed several languages fairly
> equally, with Python just one among them?  Are the outlined chapters the
> ones you would expect?  Or is something missing?  Or unnecessary?
> Assuming the suggested chapters point in the right directions, what
> specific topics would you want to see covered within each one?

My primary interest would be a python-related book.

[snip]
> Table-of-contents:
>
>   I.    Introduction to Metaprogramming.
>   II.   Behavior protocols for Python objects
>   III.  Overloading operators and enhancing basic datatypes.
>   IV.   Higher order functions.
>   V.    Function and class factories.
>   VI.   Metaclasses.
>   VII.  Code generators and code parsers.
[snip]

I would like to see some not too abstract examples. The
metaprogramming thing is not too easy to grasp, so examples should be
concrete.

I would be interested in a discussion of the Metaclasses vs other
methods of development.

HTH

Norbert