plotting and disipyl: scaling pdf output

Gary Pajer pajer at iname.com
Mon May 12 13:35:38 EDT 2003

"Michels" <michels at linmpi.mpg.de> wrote in message
news:3EBF4DD7.3A4BC24C at linmpi.mpg.de...
> Gary Pajer wrote:
>
> > I'm looking at disipyl (and/or dislin) to do plotting.  I'm potentially
> > impressed by the capabilities.
> >
> > I'll be importing graphics into pdfLaTeX.
> >
> > I can't figure out how to produce a pdf file with the scale and size
that I
> > want.
> > How does one reduce the size of the physical page?  I'd like the page to
be
> > just a bit bigger than the plot.
> > I've experimented with dislin.hwpage(),   using the keyword 'windowsize'
in
> > various places, ... all kinds of things.
> >
> > Some changes appear in a screen window plot, but don't appear in the
pdf.
> > Anyone have a simple file illustrating how to manipulate pdf plots?
> >
> > TIA,
> > Gary
>
> The DISLIN routine hwpage defines the physiacal page for PostScript and
PDF
> files. For example, the statements hwpage (2000, 2000) and page (2000,
2000)
> define a 1:1 scaling from the DISLIN plot page to a physical PDF or
PostScript
> page of the size 20 cm x 20 cm (~ 7.87 inch x 7.87 inch).
>
> Regards,
>
>  -------------------
>   Helmut Michels

Thanks.  First:  I'm not completely sure yet, but DISLIN is looking great.
A bit tough to learn, terse docs, but the results appear to be super.
Thanks for the good work.

Second:  My intro to DISLIN is taking me through disipyl.  Same
functionalily, different interface, less documentation.  (I'm not sure how
actively disipyl is being maintained. Does anyone listening know?)  I seem
to be having trouble putting statements in the right place.  Just last night
I figured out that if I call (disipyl)
canvas.page(width=xxxx, height=yyyy)
just before shipping out to pdf, I get the results I want.

disipyl has a mechanism for calling DISLIN directly, e.g.
pxdislin.dislin.hwpage( ... )
This particular one works, but sometimes calls done this way work, sometimes
they don't.  Again, the limitation is probably my knowledge of the proper
ordering of statements.

For now I'll keep working to figure things out, because the results look
good.  I might end up switching to pure DISLIN... don't know.    If disipyl
isn't in disuse, and there are other people trying to use it, I might be
able to donate simple examples illustrating what I've learned.

-Gary