A little disappointed so far

Jay O'Connor joconnor at cybermesa.com
Sun May 18 21:27:51 EDT 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003 02:11:54 +0100, Graham Nicholls
<graham at rockcons.co.uk> wrote:

>> What things seem very hard?
>Regular expressions.

Import the re module (refulare expression).  I don't use it a lot so I
can't type a little example from memory, but it's served me well in
the past.

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-re.html

>Running external programs.

 Can be done a number of ways, either using the exec family (like the
C equivalents) or the popen family (includes support for using stdin,
stdout between the two programs)  Give me an example of what you'd
like to do and I'll give you a short example of how to do it.  It's
pretty easy.

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/os-process.html
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-popen2.html

>Opening sockets.

Again, pretty easy.  The socket module supports basic low level socket
client and server capabilites.

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-socket.html

example:
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/socket-example.html

Specific proptocals suchs as POP, HTTP and FTP are supported in other
modules

See Internet Protocols and Support
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/internet.html

>No case statement - or is it simply that my documentation is out of date? I
>_know_ I can do if elif else constructs, but in a language which prides
>itself in its readability, this is laughable.

Actually, from a Smalltalk pure OO background I find that case
statements are superflous in OO languages and had been programming
Python for about 8 months before I even wondered if the language had
them :)

Take care,
Jay