Jerry Pournelle, Byte, Python, and Python in a Nutshell

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon May 12 10:33:38 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.1052512578.868.python-list at python.org>, sismex01 at hebmex.com wrote:

>> Yup. Byte stopped being a good magazine when the schematics and
>> circuit board layouts disappeared.
>
> Why did that happen?

IMO, there were two reasons:

 1) The IBM PC and the Macintosh moved the microcomputer out of
    the hobbiest market into the appliance market.

 2) The increasing complexity of circuit boards (multi-layer,
    surface mount, etc.), made most roll-your-own projects
    either very difficult or very lame.

> Was the dissapearance of schematics and layouts a reason
> or a consequence?

Both, I think.

>:-(
>
> Remember the old heathkit catalogs?

Yup.  Still have a Heathkit H-19 terminal.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  MERYL STREEP is my
                                  at               obstetrician!