python IRC & Command line

Jay O'Connor joconnor at nets.com
Mon May 26 16:02:54 EDT 2003

In article <3ED26129.ED957109 at engcorp.com>, "Peter Hansen"
<peter at engcorp.com> wrote:

> Jay O'Connor wrote:

>> Inductive logic.   So far every sysadmin tool I've used on a Python
>> system has been written in Python Using inductive logic, I'd be willing
>> to say that that sets a general rule
>
> Wow.... with this kind of logic, one could "prove" all manner of
> interesting things.  Heck, around here the horizon looks pretty flat in
> *all* directions, so therefore your logic would probably lead you to
> conclude that the earth is flat.

Simple inductive logic.  You look at what happens in a given case.  If it
happens consistantly and often enough, they you establish it as a rule.
Inductive logic, though, is hard to absolutely prove; your rule can be
overturned by counter data.

So yes, you could say 'based on the evidence at hand, the earth is flat'.
That doesn't prove that the earth is flat, it just means that given
available data, it's a supportable conclusion.   With new
data, you disprove that premise, though.  With 'the earth is flat', the
one make such an assertion is not considering all available data, though

> I liked Andrew's response much better.  I lieue of any further comment
> from Michael, I'll accept his excellent conclusion, which is that the
> RedHat *inhouse-developed* tools for installation and configuration are
> pretty much all (i.e. "the majority") written in or using Python.
>
> This is probably what Michael meant by the rather too-general phrase
> "sysadmin tools".

I took that meaning as well, the 'in-house developed' meaning; which
could be the source of the disagreement.

--
Jay O'Connor
http://www.r4h-music.com

"God Himself plays the bass strings first,
when He tunes the soul"