You don't know how lucky you are.

George Kinney gk_2345 at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 23:22:18 EDT 2003

news:3ea624c6.0305121712.218c6628 at posting.google.com...
news:<mailman.1052776938.14230.python-list at python.org>...
> > My head is now full of cryptic, raggedy, uppercase, rambling RPG/400.
>
> My sympathies, Andy.  I once looked at an RPG/II manual for the 360/20
> around 1970.  Fortunately my boss let me code in assembler and I never
> actually had to code RPG.  But I imagine that you are using RPG/IV, a
> much more advanced version. :-) Or is it IV as in transfusion?

Its definately an old version, the newer incarnations don't have any of
those limitations.
Of course anyone who believes that maintenance programming is glamourous is
dangerously
delusional.

> For a Pythonista to code RPG must mean that the job situation in the
> UK is as bad as it is here in California.  The only solution that I
> can offer is for you to write an RPG to Python interface, then write
> your programs in Python.  If your boss asks to see the RPG source,
> just take any old RPG program and do a random shuffle.  He'll never
> know the difference.  You OTOH will only need to code a couple of
> hours a week to keep up with your coworkers and can spend your time
> playing Minesweeper or other suitably productive enterprise.

Actually he can use python natively on the '400. (Assuming they are running
v4r1 or
later, which is doubtful considering what he's described.)
(http://home.no.net/pgummeda)

And I hate to say it (well not too much since it pays my rent :) ) but RPG
is very much alive
and kicking.   Its not a swiss-army knife like python, but it certainly has
its strengths in the
right context.