Calling dotNet components from Python.

cgjunkaddr at attbi.com cgjunkaddr at attbi.com
Mon May 12 08:23:18 EDT 2003

Yes, this is a transit glitch.

Since last month, I have moved to India. I was busy with the move
since my return from PyCon DC 2003.

Anyway, things being a bit crazy at work and my new place, have not
been able to set up my mail/newsgroup etc.

In fact I just got internet connectivity from home a couple of days
ago.

Anyway, KOBRA will allow you to call from Python into .NET and also
supports callbacks from .NET.

I have also added a couple of more useful features:

1) Import hooks to allow import of .NET classes using Python syntax:

(Syntax is similar to Brian Llyod's module - I liked it so didn't find
any reason to change it)

e.g.

from CLR.System.Xml.dll.System.Xml import XmlDocument

x = XmlDocument()
x.LoadXml("<hello>Testing</hello>")

etc.

2) I also have kobralib.true and kobralib.false as .NET booleans.

3) Array access using Python index
e.g.
in C#
string[] foo...

can be accessed as foo[0] etc

Slices are also supported.

4) Online compilation of C# code
i.e. you can compile c# code while in python.

This is for example, useful, when you want to test some C# code or you
want to build a helper module on the fly for use from python.

e.g.

import kobralib
assembly = kobralib.helper.compileCS("namespace Foo { class Bar {} }",
"xx.dll", inMemory=kobralib.true)
barInstance = assembly.CreateInstance("Foo.Bar")

etc.
I have found this to be very useful too.

I will post the new hosting information this week.

Regards
Chetan