newbie udp socket question

p@ digi at treepy.com
Sat May 10 20:13:25 EDT 2003

Hi list,

I have made the following UDP client:

class UdpClientSocket:
    def __init__(self,address,port,request):
        sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET,socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
        sock.sendto(str(request),address)
        response = sock.recv(port) #response here
        command = response[0]
        if command =='\x02':
            print 'server is still alive'
        if command =='\x04':
            print 'server tcp queue accepted'
        if command =='\x06':
            print 'Member address recieved'
        if command =='\x08':
            print 'cluster update redirected'

        sock.close()

udpc = UdpClientSocket(('localhost',serverPort),clientPort,'\x01')

The problem is if I don't get any response from the server it will block
forever. So how do I implement a timeout for this?
I have found a tcp-timeout-socket but none for udp...

Cheers

p@