Should I write a book on Python Metaprogramming ?

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Mon May 5 09:27:57 EDT 2003

> [David suggests writing a book on Metaprogramming]

David:

I think it's a wonderful idea. Despite being a "python guy", I'd
still prefer the book to have a broader focus... more theory and
examples from multiple languages. But either way, I'd be interested
-- particularly because I know from your previous writings that
I'd understand what was written (and it's a subject with a
reputation for exploding heads!).

But I fear you might not make any money on the project. It's hard
to make money off a book (at least compared to the amount of work
to write it!).

One more idea would be to include a chapter on Aspect Oriented
Programming. It's certainly (IMO) a special case of Metaprogramming,
and I think it would be interesting to see it discussesed in the
context of other metaprogramming. Also it's a "hot" topic recently
so who knows, perhaps it would help increase sales ;-).

Anyway, if you DO write it, please announce here so I can order my
copy!

-- Michael Chermside