How to Adopt a Large Framework

Sam Penrose spenrose at well.com
Wed May 28 15:48:56 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen wrote (heavily snipped):
> When I started with Twisted...I just wanted to be able to accept a
> socket connection and disconnect if a particular pattern was not
> received within a timeout.
> Only after I got that much working did I start thinking about the next
> step, ...Short, simple stories, easily implemented (whether with raw
> sockets, Medusa, or Twisted).
> At no point did I worry about the presence of "Cred", or "IM", or
> "Spread", since they didn't seem likely to be of help at that point.
> Heck, I still don't really know what they're supposed to do, except
> in a vague, hand-waving kind of way.
> To anyone struggling with something like Twisted, feeling that it's
> "too complex" to get a handle on, I strongly recommend learning more
> about agile methods of development

With all due respect to Peter (whose insights I always enjoy), Agile
Methodologies (which I love), and Twisted (one of whose developers I
worked side-by-side with for several months), I think Peter's experience
had a lot to do with the simplicity of what he was trying to accomplish
and not much to do with Agile Methodologies. Twisted is complicated.