State of Python - revisited

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue May 27 14:06:25 EDT 2003

John Howard wrote:

> Is python being taught anywhere?
> Can someone give specific places and course title, etc?

As I recall, there are several places, but I'm not the best to respond.
I believe at one time it was being taught to first-year students at
the University of Guelph, but I never confirmed that.

> By the way, I do know of 1 textbook.  Learning python by Deitel (sp?).

This is why I wanted to reply.  Past discussions here (check the archives
or groups.google.com) have rather lambasted that particular book, and
if you haven't already purchased it I'd like to suggest "Python in a
Nutshell" as a good first purchase, assuming you already have basic
programming skills in another language.

-Peter