'20' <= 100

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Fri May 2 10:59:36 EDT 2003

"Grant Edwards" <grante at visi.com> wrote in message
news:slrnbb3hve.13k.grante at tuxtop.visi.com...
> In article <vb3aqhra9om58d at news.supernews.com>, John Roth wrote:
>
> > I'm sure you remember this dead horse being flogged numerous
> > times in the past. The upshot is that sort needs a reliable method
> > of ordering heterogenous objects.
>
> But, it doesn't have one.  Comparing a complex number to
> anything raises an exception.

Which has also been complained about in the context of sorts.

> Isn't there also something about comparing two strings of
> different encodings also raising an exception?

Hadn't heard that one, and I don't understand why it would
do so. Unless I've missed something completely, strings
don't carry encoding information with them. They're either
unicode or single byte, and the latter can always be converted
to the former for comparison purposes.

John Roth