It never fails (bsddb retirement in 2.3)

Nick Vargish nav at bandersnatch.org
Thu May 1 15:04:45 EDT 2003

Quoting Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com>:

> I don't understand the bit about Sourceforge.  There is still a bsddb
> package delivered with Python 2.3.  API-wise it supports the old
> interface as well as supplying a much richer API than the earlier module.

> The new package does require the newer version 3 or 4 DB from Sleepycat
> to build.
> If you still run version 1 or 2, simply tickle the appropriate lines in
> Modules/Setup to build the bsddb185 module.
>
> Now would be a real good time to provide feedback on building the old
> bsddb185 module.  I don't think it's gotten much testing since
> retirement.
> There's plenty of time to tweak the build process.

Okay, thanks. As is clear from the followup replies I've been getting,
I should have kept reading. I guess I freaked a little bit reading
the bit in the 2.3 Highlights page...

Now I understand I don't need the bsddb3 sources as the equivalent is
included with the 2.3 package -- that was where the bit about Sourceforge
came in. Building and installing the SleepyCat libraries is probably
a good idea -- I bet the ones included with OSF1 are just a little bit
on the crusty side of things (I have had previous experience with DEC
software :^).

And I will try it with the bsddb185 module, for completeness' sake.

If I have any problems with the bsddb185 module, I'll be sure to make
a report.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Nick

--