Creating a service/deamon ??

Thomas Weholt ( PRIVAT ) 2002 at weholt.org
Wed May 14 08:02:08 EDT 2003

Hi,

I need to create a long-time running service/deamon that will monitor some
email-accounts and do certain jobs on given intervals. Preferrably it will
be able to run as a Windows2000-service, available in the service-manager
and as a deamon started by inetd/xinetd etc on Linunx, just like ordinary
services.

What is the best way to do this? Does anybody has any simple code examples I
could base this thing on?

I'm working with Twisted for my web-projects so if I could use that package
for this it would be nice. A very nice-to-have feature would be to have the
service available for configuration while running using xmlrpc. If it can be
done using standard modules in the Python-distro that's even better.

Thanks in advance,
Thomas