Gui Advice Needed: wxPython or PyQT ?

Vadim Zeitlin zeitlin at parthe.lpthe.jussieu.fr
Sat May 10 08:21:17 EDT 2003

On Sat, 10 May 2003 07:51:05 +0200, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> or are you just saying that if you can get a facelift if you upgrade
> portions of your application (i.e. the wxPython libraries) only if you
> use wxPython?   that's in line with much wxPython propaganda I've
> seen over the years, but I can assure you that it has very little to
> do with reality.

 I can assure you that it pretty much *is* the reality. Microsoft chose to
require the applications to provide the manifest file and indeed even wxPython
couldn't have foreseen this in advance. But with all the other changes between
Windows versions you did get the facelift completely automatically, case in
point: transition between Win95 style interface and Win98. And I'm sure it's
not going to be the last UI change and that applications using wxPython will
blend much better in Longhorn or whatever comes next than the ones using
toolkits such as Tk or Qt.

 In any case, there is no such thing as "wxPython propaganda". There is a
simple fact that wxPython uses the native API and so the behaviour of the
programs using it is the same (not counting possible bugs...) as the one of
the other native applications.

 I'd finally like to say that IMO the word "propaganda" has a very negative
connotation which is entirely inappropriate in this discussion.

 Regards,
VZ
--
GCS/GM d? H+ s++:-- p2 au--- a- w+ v C+++ UBLS+++ P- L++ N++ E--- W++++ M? V--
-po+ R++ G`` !tv b+++ D--- e++++ u++ h--- f+ r++ n- y?