Retrieving a stock quote using Python?

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Wed May 21 21:33:11 EDT 2003

Th PythonCard stockprice sample uses SOAP.py

  http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/samples/stockprice.html

The actual work is pretty simple. You could pick a different SOAP quote
service or use something other than SOAP with an XML-RPC service, but I
would recommend avoiding a screen scraping solution. Yes this function could
use better error handling...

def getStockPrice(symbol):
    price = -1
    try:
        server = SOAP.SOAPProxy('http://services.xmethods.net/soap', \
                                namespace='urn:xmethods-delayed-quotes')
        price = server.getQuote(symbol)
    except:
        pass
    return price

ka

"David Lees" <abcdebl2nonspammy at verizon.net> wrote in message
news:fJSya.32517$Hy3.11289 at nwrddc02.gnilink.net...
I would like to write a utility in Python that takes a stock symbol as
an input and returns a current price.  Suggestions on how to do this are
welcome.  I was thinking of an approach that would go out to a page like
finance.yahoo.com, entering the stock symbol and then collecting the
results and parsing them for the price.  But it has been awhile since I
used pythton and I'm not sure I ever really knew how to do this.

TIA

David Lees