[ANN] gdmodule 0.41 released

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Sat May 31 01:18:29 EDT 2003

It is by far past time for another release of the venerable
gdmodule.  Thanks to Andreas Rottmann, Bob Galloway, and
Nathan Robertson for their patches, which are all integrated
in this new release.  Also included are bugfixes by me
addressing problems discovered by Russell Nelson (and thanks
to him also).  See the notes in gd-ref.html (near the bottom)
for notes about the changes.

Consider this beta quality code, but it's probably better
by a lot than the 0.40 release.  Get it at:

    http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/gdmodule.html

ALSO:

I have begun a rewrite of the gdmodule using SWIG, but a
combination of Real Life(tm) and lack of facility with
SWIG has caused me to grind to a halt.  If you, the reader,
are at all knowledgeable about SWIG and want to help with
this project, let me know by private email.

My particular interest in this relates to the use of
"generic" file-like objects, that is, those which expose
an interface like a standard Python file object.  This
would be a good thing to support, and GD does have a means
for interfacing to "external" I/O methods, but integrating
that via SWIG has harmed my brain.

Chris Gonnerman -- chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
http://newcenturycomputers.net