Windows Interpreter Without Installing?

Lexy Zhitenev zhitenev at cs.vsu.ru
Wed May 14 02:16:14 EDT 2003

Hello, Eddie!
You wrote  on 13 May 2003 21:55:23 -0700:

 E> Is it possible to have my script on a CD, and run on it with a copy of
 E> the Python interpreter that is also on the CD?
I think it is.

 E> I've tried copying the install to a vanilla build of windows, but it
 E> complains about not finding the PYTHON22.DLL in the system32 folder.
 E> When I copied this DLL to the same folder that the interpreter was in,
 E> it just didn't run (no error).
I experimented with Python 2.3 (without any GUI). I had python.exe,
python23.dll, several files in 'lib' subdir, others in a zip file (lib
subdir with needed modules and DLLs). It worked under Win2K and WinXP. It
was also compiled on Win2K, but on another machine.

 E> I'd also like a GUI if possible, to make it nice & easy for the users
 E> who struggle to understand, so I might be trying to run wxPython too.
 E> Does any one know if it's possible to run this directly off the CD as
 E> well?

 E> I'm creating this CD to distribute some client applications (to
 E> several offices). This way I don't have to worry about what is & isn't
 E> installed on the PC, which version of Windows, which service pack...
 E> etc... I'm doing this already with Java, with a certain degree of
 E> success, but it's a little on the slow side. so I thought I would try
 E> it with Python to see how much it performance improves.
 E> BTW: If anyone can think of a better way of going this (another
 E> interpreter or scripting language or easier way to make the GUI), let
 E> me know of your thoughts.
Being aware of Python and Java, you can try Jython. The only preparation
step you need is to set java.exe path. In Jython you can use AWT and Swing
for GUI, along with event handlers in Python.

With best regards, Lexy Zhitenev.  E-mail: zhitenev at cs.vsu.ru