Gui Advice Needed: wxPython or PyQT ?

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue May 6 18:07:44 EDT 2003

Andrew Henshaw wrote:
> Another consideration might have to do with native look and feel.  I hope
> I'm not misrepresenting Qt when I say that, I believe, it achieves its MS
> Windows look-and-feel by emulation; whereas, wxWindows uses the underlying
> widgets.  It is my understanding that this is generally only noticeable
> when Microsoft updates the visuals.  For example, if someone had
> distributed a Qt app for Win2000 before XP was released, then that app
> wouldn't automatically get the facelift that a wxWindows app would have
> gotten.

There's another face to this mirror: Qt implements its widgets directly
on each platform it supports -- behavior is totally under trolltech's
control, looks ditto (and in fact you can choose to give your own app
configurable looks).  Toolkits that choose to use the "underlying" widgets
that happen to exist on the current platform have no such control.

Personally I could care less, but UI experts generally decry the looks
that apps happen to have when run with widgets widely different from
those they've been designed and tested for.

While I'm no UI expert, far from it, I _have_ built UI frameworks in
the past -- and if I were to do it again (fortunately quite unlikely,
since good cross-platform frameworks now exist), I'd go Qt's route --
IMHO, building on top of several sets of higher-level widgets is just
too fragile.

> We have been very happy with wxPython for our development.

And we, with Qt for ours -- happy enough that we gladly accept to
pay for it.  I doubt we'll solve the issue with this discussion:-).

Alex