A Standard

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry at attbi.com
Sun May 25 19:01:27 EDT 2003

On Sunday 25 May 2003 15:52, Luis Cortes wrote:
> Python Language Developer:
>
>  I have long been playing the idea ( and I'm sure that others have too --
> of porting the STL library from C++ completely re-written in python.  I
> have had great success in doing this with the the vector class with little
> problem (although it did take me several iterations).  I believe it would
> be trivial to finish the rest of the lib.  My question would be, won't this
> be better than making our own version of set, list, vector, map, etc.???
>

> This way, won't C++ programmers have an easier time crossing over?

almost all of the STL is either a) implemented as Python objects or b) better
done a different way.  Supplying this crutch to C++ coders will just result
in un-Pythonic code being written and will actually slow down their learning.

When you move to a new language it is important to learn how that language
works.  We have all seen "C in any language" style code.