Metasyntax/Macros

A. Lloyd Flanagan alloydflanagan at attbi.com
Wed May 14 17:56:47 EDT 2003

paddy3118 at netscape.net (Paddy McCarthy) wrote in message news:<2ae25c6b.0305140003.dbd812e at posting.google.com>...
<excerpt>
> and create a Python class. By choosing a careful set of macros the
> resultant {ython-with-macros source could be understandable to people
> with only the domain specific language knowledge,

</expert>

And only those people.  The trouble with macros in general, and C
macros in particular, is that they can be used to mangle the language
into almost any form the macro-writer wants.  The result is something
that does not make sense to any other person on the planet.

IMHO, we already have plenty of languages that are ideal for writing
unreadable code.  Let's not turn Python into one of them.

If you want a language with a powerful designed-in macro facility,
check out Lisp.